Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Photo Safari: Visit to Cataldo Mission

My husband's parents are some of the coolest people you will ever meet. Not only are they generous, kind, and loving but they are also adventurers. James will tell the story of a car trip where they took a three hundred mile detour just because he said "Hey dad, that looks like a cool bridge over there, doesn't it?" My in-laws, Kay and B.Jay, will take their time going places and explore something new. It takes us about five hours to come home from Seattle, but they will take eight or nine and really stop and see what's out there.

One of my major goals is to do what they do and see more of the world (they are going to Norway this year!) both locally and globally. So yesterday James and I tripped out to the Cataldo Mission for the first time since my fourth grade field trip. I don't remember much of that trip except for what I had for lunch that day. I remember finishing a whole soda, a big accomplishment for ten-year-old me. :)

For those of you not familiar the Sacred Heart Church in Cataldo Mission State Park is one of the oldest buildings in the state of Idaho. The local natives helped to build the church, and it is a beautiful slice of history in the Silver Valley.


Brides who are still looking for a venue: you can get married here! :)

There was a little museum on the property that had a bunch of really cool artifacts from Belgium (Where Father DeSmet, the man who helped build the Sacred Heart Church, was from).


Down near the river there was a little cemetery where settlers were buried. 

The quiet hush at the riverside was a great place for reflection. It was so peaceful and quiet. 



 We walked back up the hill and made our way into the church.

Some of the original vestments were on display. I loved the red one. It really stood out amidst the wattle-and-daub walls.
The paint in the ceiling was tinted with blueberries. Even a hundred and fifty years later, it's still vivid. 

I loved all of the vintage bottles that the people re-creating the parish had put into the kitchen. They were definitely drool-worthy. I just love vintage things that are beautiful and have a history. :)



This statue of the Madonna and Child caught my eye. There's just something about the peace in Mary's face that touched my heart.

I loved all of the statuary in the parish house chapel. The painstaking detail just left me in awe.

The Cataldo Mission and Sacred Heart Church were so beautiful to visit and if you're in the area I highly recommend a trip out there. :) Here's to many more adventures to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful Jenn, You have a great way of capturing the beauty most miss.

    ReplyDelete