Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wallace, Idaho: The Center of the Universe

This summer has had it share of hot days and I had planned to do more posts about local color. But it was just. too. hot. I felt like a half melted popsicle most of the time. So instead of going to do my shooting in the morning, I waited until late evening. I wanted to show you some of the interesting things around me. This particular night I went to Wallace, Idaho to shoot some of the curiosities available to anyone visiting.

.
This spaceship lives outside a restaurant. It's kind of funny because the spaceship itself doesn't have a lot to do with the theme of the restaurant itself -- The Red Light Garage is based more on old license plates than extra-terrestrials, but it's still pretty interesting.

This elk in a still lit store window caught my attention. I wonder if he's for sale or just to attract customers?

 
The other day I told James that the American Pickers would love all of the vintage signs that still exist in Wallace. If you like antiques they have a lot of those too.
 

 
When I took these I was thinking specifically of my architectural-detail-loving husband. He loves neat details from times past and so do I. Craftsman style work really turns my crank. :)


This is part of the main drag of Wallace -- since "The biggest little city in the world" was already taken, they chose to christen it as "the center of the universe." Maybe that is why the alien spaceship is there? Wallace is a fun place with a lot of character. :)

 
All in all Wallace is a pretty cool place to visit. If you ever watched The Gilmore Girls it has a lot of features similar to Stars Hollow -- lots of fun festivals and celebrations that are worth a visit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment